About two years ago my wife and wanted to find a program we could support children and families who may not be as fortunate as others. Some may know we have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy. She routinely needs physical, occupational, speech and behavioral therapy services. Cerebral Palsy affects her ability have involvement in typical things in life like sports, clubs and even a “mainstream” education because she lacks mental and physical capacity to compete with peers her age.
Having a child with special needs can be financially and emotionally draining for parents. Involvement in life is limited. Means to find the right opportunities are also limited. We have an entourage of family and friends who support us but, there are other children and athletes who are not fortunate enough!
Our daughter’s limitations- which we use lightly- led us to the Special Olympics of Florida. We have amazing souls who entered our lives as teachers and now coaches of the Sorrento Wolves Special Olympics team.
With the help of our own sales, Lowes, Costco, and Canter partners, Accurate Power and Technology has been able to make a huge difference in their lives. In past years we have donated cash from each job in our daughter’s name. We wish each of our customers could see the look on the athletes faces you help create at the finish line or on an award box when medals and ribbons are handed out.
This year our daughter was the top fundraising individual and the Wolves were the Top Cool School - although technically our kids are from many Lake County schools and neighborhoods. This was a huge deal for the Wolves team, our daughter and our family. We thank you all for continued growth. They are a competitive collection of people!
It is 110% because of our customers and business affiliations we can support our 2nd year with these amazing athletes on the Special Olymp Wolves team as well as support Special Olympics of Lake County and Special Olympics Florida.
We plan to grow this campaign in 2020 to better support the team!
Ways to help:
• If you are a new customer or an existing customer for service and maintenance, ask your sales person or technician to ”round up your bill” to the nearest $1, $10, $100 mark. We will take pennies and whatever else you are willing to round to AND we will match the donation!
• If you don’t need service and just browsing, we will post links directly to the team and official Special Olympics websites where direct donations may be made. These will be posted through the year.
• We will also link to special events and other volunteer opportunities which may be offered.
In two short years here is what we have already seen with this support:
• Endless smiles and confidence
• More than 30 ribbons for athletes at local and regional games For bowling, basketball and track & field.
• More than 20 gold silver and bronze medals at state games
• Athletes receiving outstanding wellness checks for balance, muscle tone, range of motion, blood pressure, endurance and so many other health items
• Athletes receiving free eye exams and prescription eye glasses - going to kids who may not have the means to get glasses
• Athletes receiving free tennis shoes - and this one makes you tear up as you see a kid walk in with duct taped, hole ridden shoes and walk out with a brand new pair!
• Athletes receiving free hearing checks and referral if additional services where needed
• Athletes receiving free dental exams and referrals if additional services were needed
• Athlete and family first time trips to Disney World and Disney ESPN Sports
• Athlete and family first time trips to Aquatica and Seaworld
• Brand new uniforms, shirts and tennis shoes
This group has not only given our daughter a great opportunity to compete, but these athletes are now close friends, their families have becomes friends, and we have a support network of people that “get us” which we could have never imagined.
We appreciate your continued support and we hope you enjoy a glimpse into our world!
The mission of Special Olympics Florida is to provide year-round sports training and competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for people with intellectual disabilities who wish to participate, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in the sharing of gifts, skills, and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community.
The ultimate objective of Special Olympics Florida is to help people with intellectual disabilities participate as productive and respected members of society at large, by offering them a fair opportunity to develop and demonstrate their skills and talents through sports training and competition, and by increasing the public’s awareness of their capabilities and needs.
Special Olympics Florida, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
Give us a call at (352) 735-8285, or contact us by email, and we would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Sales: (352) 735-8285
Fax: (352) 735-8285
Find Accurate Power and Technology, Inc on Facebook